Saturday, January 29, 2011

Your Mom Hates This



I'm not a huge fan of horror games, but they did a really good job on the trailers for Dead Space 2. Just watching all of those moms get completely terrified by the game just tickles me. A fun way to advertise a game.



I can just imagine my mom watching these in that situation. She would probably squeak and get scared like all of the other moms, and then after admit in a sort of defeated tone "I could see my daughter playing this" and shaking her head. She hates gory/scary things and would always walk into my room and go "EW WHAT ARE YOU PLAYING" but she would never make comments on how the game made me a violent person.

On that subject, a lot of people still try to argue that games encourage violent behavior. I would like to argue my own case. I play more video games that most people, hours a day even. I play primarily violent games. Call of Duty, Halo, Gears of War, Left 4 Dead, all of the Bioware games are extremely violent and Dragon Age: Origins has great blood spatter effects. Am I a particularly violent person outside of the gaming world? No. I contribute to society in a completely normal manner. I don't steal, I have never been arrested, I only attack when provoked. Some might argue that it is because I am a girl and it isn't in my 'nature' to be violent but I believe this applies in general. I use games as an outlet. I can rip heads off and brutally murder aliens, zombies, more aliens, other people. Laugh maniacally as I do so, and then I don't feel so stressed any more.

Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment