Thursday, March 8, 2012

Unimpressed with Origin, EA

I am a HUGE fan of Bioware games (excluding Dragon Age 2 but we won't talk about that) and I have been so excited for so long to play Mass Effect 3. I have been babbling about it online for months, hinted at making my own nerf gun modifications based on ME guns, and even hinted at a cosplay. When the release date came upon us, my plans on showing up at a midnight release were ruined by a 103 degree fever. Then, after I happily purchased ME3 from the comfort of my own home (I decided to go with the Digital Deluxe Version from Amazon) it took the regular 6 or so hours to download. At the end of that download time, an error window popped up telling me a file was corrupt and I had to start over. Frustration, anger, disappointment. This meant I would have to wait yet another day before I could play. Not only that, but Origin, EA's new 'groovy' way to play with friends is somehow tied to another EA account that I could not for the life of me remember the password for. Through the Origin client, it was failing to send me an email to reset my password. I had to go to the EA page and reset the password from there, only to discover it STILL wouldn't install because of some shittery or another and it expects me to re-download AGAIN. So when I try to do so, Origin crashes. Every. Single. Time.

For one, EA, I do not want your shitty social platform for gaming. I already have Steam which links to my facebook and whatever else I could possibly want it to link to (I have a PC, I don't want my asshole XBL friends to see me on Steam to be completely honest) and your attempts are making it so I cannot play a game that if you had not put up so many barriers I could have just freakin installed and played. So you could say my first impressions of Mass Effect 3 have not been good. Maybe if I just bought the CD version I wouldn't have had to go through all this trouble, but I'm a PC gamer. I like to just buy my games off Steam and then off I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment