Thursday, July 15, 2010

Dragon Age Origins: Collector's Edition


I am very hard to please when it comes to video games. I want entertainment, challenge and a good storyline. Dragon Age: Origins has all of these and more. This game is by far the best that I have played in my life, hands down. It gives you the same thrill of a movie without locking you out of making any choices, quite the opposite. This game has so many possibilities there is no way you could play it just once. I played through my first time as an elf mage, who was entirely morally good. I was so entertained and captivated, this was a challenging game that was not frustrating. If I failed at a certain part I was not stuck I always had something new to try.

I have no complaints, and observed very few bugs or problems, most of them probably could have been computer related instead of game. Also, this game is beautiful especially if you have a computer that can handle the highest settings of graphics. The voice acting was impressive, more like an animated movie than a video game, and also the voices matched the movement of the characters lips as well. The story is impressive, and the lore is so extensive its surprising that this game is not based on a book.

There was only one problem I came across, when I was doing the human noble origins as a warrior. I would get to a certain point where you need to get through a certain door. The door was locked (it wasn't supposed to be) and I even created a new character and had it happen again. I eventually got past the bug by skipping the side quest to get the family treasures (sadly, they are very good items) There are polishing issues in this game. If they had kept it for a few weeks to clean up these few issues, this game would be near perfect in my book.

CONTROLS: The controls of the keyboard were typical to rpg type games, but I found they didn't get in the way as I went through the game. This is a group based tactical game where it is important to balance characters and also control their positions on the battlefield. Unlike Mass Effect, BioWare's other famous rpg this is not an fps based game. I actually do really like fps games but every once and a while I like something different. This is certainly something different.

Times Played through: WARNING SPOILERS
female elf mage, Alistar romance, Alistair dies
female dalish elf warrior, Leliana, character dies
female human noble warrior, Alistar, pact with Morrigan

Number of Characters 10
Kills: 2339
Damage dealt: 544711
Friendly-fire damage dealt: 746
Greatest damage dealt: 435
Contribution to party damage: 563
Hit rate: 821
Most powerful foe slain: 0
Injuries: 87

You can view my Bioware profile http://social.bioware.com/playerprofile.php?sku=dragonage1_pc&nid=2271195452

9.5/10 and well deserved

1 comment:

  1. Awesome game! Could have used a couple more weeks in development. Hoping to see faster combat and better blood spatter (blood should move/drip) in the second one. Also hoping for more weapon variety. And they had better fix the combat running too. The way they run in this one would destroy your back. I'm done nitpicking now. :)

    ReplyDelete